background

Monday, May 17, 2010

Well, it was a day today. :) Gideon had his echocardiogram and the news wasn't very good. His pulmonary hypertension is not really improved. The doctors are puzzled and seemed a little discouraged. There are many doctors taking care of Gideon, but I confess, I have a favorite. He is one of the cardiology fellows. There is always an attending doctor and a fellow doctor on shift. I don't know what it means to be a fellow, I think it means he is specialized and the attending physician is more about over-all care instead of being specialized. I ask these questions and then when it is time to pull the information up again, my brain refuses. Oh well. My favorite doctor is this fellow and he's a jolly good one. :) The reason I like him so well is his calm optimism and kindness. When he tells me the bad news, he is encouraging and he says things like "Keep on Keepin' On". Imagine me liking someone like that. :)
They had to change Gideon's vent settings again, but it seemed to make him feel better and it definitely made his ph levels better. He also had to be started on diuretics again today. He was very edemegous(swollen) and it is so sad to see him like that. As soon as I arrived there this morning I could see he was much more swollen than last night. By the time I left the hospital tonight he was already looking better. They have been trying not to give him the diuretics because it is hard on his kidneys, but the edema is extremely hard on his lungs. They started him on a new med for his pulmonary hypertension because the one he is on now doesn't seem to be helping enough. They say it is a fine balancing act and they are doing all that they know to do for him.
It was a hard day. I cried some, but when I thought about my Heavenly Father and the feelings I have been blessed with through all this, I realized; I'm not worried. This will be a challenge. I don't know what Gideon's life will be like with his condition, but I remember President Uchdorf's words "...the promises of the Lord, while not always swift, are always certain." Gideon will come home with us when he is ready and that is good enough for me. :)

Thank you again, friends and family, for your love and prayers. It is making ALL the difference. We could never do this alone. We love you tons!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Teala, you are a woman of great strength and faith and you are an INSPIRATION to me, thank you!
You are definitely in our prayers, we love you and your family!