background

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The doctors decided that tomorrow morning Gideon will go back to the cath lab. We don't know what time yet, but most likely it will be about 10:30. Let me see if I can explain what they will do. This procedure will not be as risky or as intrusive as the last time he was there. They won't be messing with his heart and so they will use smaller tubes. They will put the tubes in through the femoral artery by the groin. While they are inside they will take video of his lungs and be able to see and measure exactly what his lung pressures are. They will also deliver a few different meds to his lungs and they will be able to see immediately if those medicines will help him.
He is still looking very good, not swollen. They have been giving him a little more diuretic which helps. They completely stopped the morphine this morning which is a good the thing. The sad thing is that he seems to be having withdrawals. He startles very easily and when he is startled his entire body jerks and then just shakes. He also yawns a lot, which the nurse told me can be a sign of withdrawals. It is hard to watch because whenever he moves or yawns his breathing tube can be moved and because he is more awake or alert his gag reflex has become very strong. Having a strong gag reflex and having the tube move makes him gag and wretch and has been causing him to throw up. It is just secretions from his tube, but they are a little pink tinged and they think that means the tube is irritating his throat. I shudder, myself, to think how that must feel. My sweet little baby. I wish I could fix it.

I want to thank all of you for praying for us, for praying for Gideon's doctors and praying for Gideon. I wonder if any of you out there are wondering if your prayers are going unanswered in lieu of Gideon's slow progress. I just want to assure you that your prayers and mine are being answered every minute of everyday we have been here. This morning the doctors all came in a cluster to Gideon's bed to tell me what they decided. They looked very somber, they repeated again that the fact that Gideon's lung pressures have not gotten better is very bad news. They looked at me sympathetically, they asked if my husband would be coming back by tomorrow, they had me sign consent papers for his procedure tomorrow and they looked at me sympathetically some more. I felt emotional, it is hard to hear a doctor tell you that your baby's future in this life is very uncertain, but I didn't cry. I kept thinking of Joshua 1:9. I don't have my scriptures with me right now, but in my mind this is what it says,

"..be strong and of a good courage, be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest."

The peace that scripture gave me today is an answer to prayer. I am not worried. That is an answer to prayer. Gideon is stronger than he was 2 weeks ago. That is an answer to prayer. Every bit of strength that Wade and I have been able to muster came directly from a kind and loving Heavenly Father as answer to prayer. My children are ok and that is an answer to prayer. He is also answering prayers through all of your kind service to us. I promise, our prayers are being answered. Heavenly Father is with us and we are not afraid, dismayed or discouraged. We love you all. Thank you!


P.S. I don't know if you noticed, but we changed the f.r.o.g from fast recovery of gideon to something more appropriate.
f.r.o.g = full recovery of gideon :)

4 comments:

Hannah Demke said...

Teala we are so sorry to hear about cute little gideon, we want you to know that we are thinking of you and your family and will be keeping Gideon always in our prayers. Trust in the lord he has a special path for all of his children.
Virginia Rushton and Hannah Demke

Unknown said...

Dear sweet Teala, Each time I read your blog I cry. I know you are stong, I know you are secure knowing the Lord's hand is in all that is going on. What peace we find in the gospel.

We love you and can't wait to have your family back home with us. Love, Sis O.

Jade said...

Hope everything went well. You're a very strong woman - keep it up.

Bonita said...

Praying for you and your family tonight.
Love you tons!