background

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Please pray for Gideon's doctors. :)

The attending doctors came in and talked to me today a little while after Gideon had his echo. They said that Gideon's pulmonary pressures are about 75% of his peripheral pressure which means they are a little better, but still too high. They say pulmonary blood pressure should be about 25-33% of what our body's blood pressure is. He also said that he and the other doctors (all together they make up Gideon's cardiology team) will have to meet together tomorrow and decide what to do. Gideon's hypertension may have something to do with the aortic stenosis. I took that to mean that they may decide to fix his aortic valve with open heart surgery now. Or they may first take Gideon back to the cath lab for diagnostics. In the cath lab they can measure exactly what the pulmonary pressures are. I understand that the echo actually only gives an estimate. In the cath lab they can also deliver medicines and see immediately if they will help Gideon.
Please pray for Gideon's doctors. I wouldn't normally put their names up on this blog, but I feel it may be helpful to include their names in our prayers. They are Dr. Vernon, Dr. Garnreiter, Dr. Statler, Dr. Day. I understand there are more doctors, but these are the ones who I have met and they have actually worked on Gideon.
Gideon looked really handsome today. His swelling has gone way down and I took some pictures. I will have to ask my Bro-in-law to help me put them up since I am using his computer. They are still giving him small doses of diuretics which he needs as he has been positive on his fluids. That means that he is taking more in than he is peeing out. Then he starts to swell more. He is being weaned off the morphine because they started a new pain med that is not a narcotic which works great and I am really happy with that. They took out his catheter last night which I think he appreciates. The nurse told me it was not really necessary anymore and it was also another route for infection.
Gideon likes to lay on his side and toot and snore. :) The tooting means his bowels are functioning properly and the snoring means he has a little air leak around his breathing tube. The nurse tells me this is ok because it means his airway is not too swollen. He is adorable and the nurse let me hold him up while she changed his blankets and then she let me change his diaper. Not a bad day. :)
I read Elder Oaks talk on Healing the Sick from the last priesthood session. It was just what I needed to think about. Everything that he said made me feel better, but this little quote is the one that touched me the most.

"As children of God, knowing of His great love and His ultimate knowledge of what is best for our eternal welfare, we trust in Him."
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Thank you. We love you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Teala, I have been thinking and praying for all of you ever since we heard the news about Gideon. I am so glad to be able to read this blog and keep up to date. Know that you are in my daily prayers. I apologize, each time I spoke with Wade I didn't want to bother you as I felt your mind was on more important matters. Know that we are here for you in any capacity that you may need. We love you! Joyce

Aura said...

Hello My Sweet Sister. I hope you are doing well. I will most assuredly put his doctors in my prayers. I pray for you and Gideon too. I love you.

Bonita said...

Love you Teala... Of course I'll add the doctors to my prayers.
Hang in there!!