background

Thursday, June 24, 2010

A final post!

It is almost impossible for me to keep this updated at this point in our lives, but I will just keep trying. Keep on keepin' on, right? Much has happened since I last posted. I cannot find my camera again. Shocker! Moving on.
Last Friday, I took Gideon to the Pediatrician, who I think I will really like. :) I told her he had been throwing up and I was certain it was because I was forcing at least 60 ml of milk down him every three hours and I didn't think it was right so I had stopped using the tube and he quit throwing up. He was eating more than he had before and I was letting him wait to be hungry before offering him food and he seemed so much happier and I wanted to pull the tube out. I told her I could put the tube back in if I had to and she said that she had never seen a baby do well being force fed and that I ought to pull it out. So that night, out it came and he has done so much better. He has not been "flemmy" like he was before because the tube was causing his body to create extra secretions and he has been eating better and burping like a champ ever since as well. The pediatrician also gave me a breast shield and I tried it and he latched and started nursing! What a blessing! I had been trying everything, skin to skin with every feeding, I had appointments with pediatric speech therapists that never worked out and I was feeling a little sorry for myself. It is amazing that, even in my weakest moments, the Lord is right there for me, encouraging and blessing me. I can't help, but feel it is a great bonus that he sleeps for six hours straight at night now. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!
We had an appointment in SLC at Primary Children's on Tuesday and it went well. Gideon had and echocardiogram and he just slept through it. He also slept all the way to SLC in his carseat and he hates his carseat so I cannot say what a blessing that was. :)
The doctor said that Gideon still needs his oxygen. I was hoping maybe they would say that he could start using it only at night. Gideon has what they call a PFO. I don't know what that stands for, but it means he has a chamber in his heart that is like a door that usually closes after birth. It's a normal thing and they told me that it doesn't close in 1 in 4 people even into adulthood. The concern is that Gideon has blood going the wrong way through his little chamber and that is an indication to the doctor that his pulmonary blood pressures are still a little elevated and that is why he will not DC the O2. :) In 5 weeks we have an appointment with the cardiologist here in St. George, hopefully, then we can take off the oxygen.
I think it is time to put our family back together again so I will not be posting on this blog anymore. I will be putting all of Gideon's updates on our family's regular blog oureyewitness@blogspot.com. I will title each of his posts "A f.r.o.g Blog". Have a great night. Lot's of love from the Wilson Family. :)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Congratulations on the progress! One thing that helped my milk supply was taking blessed thistle and red raspberry leaf. You can get them at a health food store. I'm so glad he is nursing for you :) I have had to give Andrew one bottle a day with formula added to it because he wasn't gaining enough wait just nursing, but I am so glad to be able to nurse him.